The Nature Guide to North Stradbroke Island-Minjerribah provides a comprehensive introduction to the island's unique wildlife and ecology.
Beautifully illustrated with over 700 photographs, the guidebook has been compiled as a community project by members of the Friends of Stradbroke Island, a non-profit community group, dedicated to protecting the island's unique fragile environment. Expert ecologists and scientists have reviewed and contributed to the book. Every chapter is based on the latest research. Specialist contributors include well-known Queensland scientists and naturalists Dr Chris Burwell, Harry Hines, Glenn Leiper, John T. Moss, Dr David Stewart and Dr Kathy Townsend.
- A Place of Sand and Water – the island’s geology, hydrology, diverse habitats and environmental history all in one chapter
- Minjerribah’s Wild Places – tips for understanding and exploring the island's beaches, rocky shores, marine environment, inland lakes, swamps and bushland
- Beachcombing – a guide to the creatures and objects found on the seashore
- Wild Stradbroke Seasonal Guide – wildflowers and wildlife ~ follow the rhythms of the island's natural world
- Life in the Ocean – whales, dolphins, dugongs, turtles, sharks, rays, seal, fish ~ their ecology and spotting tips
- Birds – 150 birds described with spotting tips and a new island bird list
- Aquatic animals of the wallum wetlands – focuses on the frogs, turtles, crayfish, eels and other denizens of the swamps and lakes
- Mammals – highlights the island’s special koalas, wallabies, kangaroos, swamp rats, bats and other mammals
- Island insects – butterflies, dragonflies, damselflies and cicadas ~ described with new island lists.
- Lizards and land snakes – features island reptiles with complete species lists
- Plants – 150 key island plants described with photographs and habitat guide.
An informative companion for island visitors and nature lovers.
Suitable for students from primary to university level, supported by a detailed reference chapter. A great teaching aid for excursions.
Contributing Editors - Mary Barram and Sue Ellen Carew
Managing Editor - Susan Hill
Design by Michael Phillips
Front cover image by Fiona Pyke
352 pp., laminated protective cover, octavo size, colour photographs, diagrams and maps
Published December 2016 by the Friends of Stradbroke Island Inc.